Welcome to HELP VEGA BAJA
We are still working on the site so please bear with us while we get things right!
- HELP Vega Baja is a registered charity that was established over 35 years ago. We help people by providing information and supporting them with all sorts of problems within the Vega Baja area which includes La Marina and extends to Pilar de laHoradada.
- We have a centre in San Miguel de Salinas which includes a charity shop and the hire of mobility equipment, an office in Torrevieja and a Help Desk in La Marina Our offices are open Monday to Friday from 10 am to 1.30 pm and the Help Desk at La Marina is open each Thursday at the Hope Fellowship Church (Avda de Justo Antonio Quesada, Urb. La Marina) We also have a 24 hour Emergency Help Line (966 723 733) which is available every day of the year. A recorded message will provide the telephone number of a volunteer on duty.
- We supply a wide range of information sheets and advice to members and non members alike. Typical enquiries include questions on residence, health care, cars, bereavement, wills and burglaries. If the answer to a problem is not known immediately, every effort is made to obtain the appropriate information. Our help is often called upon at times of crisis and in emergency situations such as when police or medical services are involved
- Our hospital visiting teams visit the Vega Baja Hospital, near Orihuela regularly each week and Torrevieja hospital in Los Balcones upon request. These volunteers can contact friends or family of patients if required, and can also try to resolve any non-medical problems. Books and talking tapes from our library are loaned to patients free of charge.
- We are a self funding association and obtain all of our income from membership fees, donations and fund raising activities and are always grateful for donations of items that can be sold at our shop in San Miguel. This allows us to continue supporting those in need within the Vega Baja area. Our stall at Campoamor Street Market every Thursday is a great success thanks to the volunteers that stand there in all winds and weathers.
- Mobility equipment is available for hire at our San Miguel centre at a reasonable charge and discounts are available to members. Our vast stock of equipment includes wheelchairs, walking frames, toilet seat raisers, bath seats and crutches. This service is available to both residents and visitors alike.
- We can help with repatriation cases by undertaking the necessary procedures required to leave Spain to return to the UK for those people who are unable to cope themselves.
- When someone dies it is obviously a very difficult time and we can help by offering advice on the procedures to follow when a death occurs (the procedure varies according to the circumstances of the death). We can also help arrange the burial or cremation service,
- We have a Diabetic Support Group which meets on the last Wednesday of the month. Those attending are able to benefit from sharing experiences and information with others in similar situations. This group benefits those who are recently diagnosed, as well as those who have learned to live with diabetes. Every effort is made to keep up to date with all developments in the treatment of diabetes. Attendance at this group is free.
- We have a Friendship Centre at La Zenia which opens Monday afternoons between 2.00 and 5.30pm. The centre provides a friendly environment and many of our visitors form new friendships as the result of attending. Following the success of the La Zenia Friendship Centre which has been running for 12 years, a second Friendship Centre has recently been established in La Marina and meets every Wednesday between 2.30 - 5 pm at The Posh Club.
- In addition to providing benefits to our members, we also donate funds to worthy causes and other charities within the Vega Baja area through fundraising events and charity sales.
- We have a range of benefits for members which we try update regularly. These benefits include a discount on the hire of orthopaedic equipment, an Emergency Contact Scheme, a Helpcare Policy which provides assistance when members are discharged from hospital (when required), an interpreter service, help with the cost of preparing a will to name but a few. Qualifying periods and limits apply to some of our benefits and full details can be obtained from our San Miguel centre.
- A Welfare Officer is available to provide advice on mobility needs and how to ensure someone is safe and well in their home environment. This service is available to members and non members upon request. Our Welfare Officer has recently introduced a service to assist with the completion of application forms for Attendance Allowance.
Every first Tuesday of the month we hold a lunch, more recently at The Portico Mar Restaurant near Guardamar. Many friends, members and supporters of HELP come along and enjoy a 3 course meal including wine at a reasonable cost. The afternoon is always well supported and a good opportunity to meet other Help members and make new friends. Please book at least a week in advance by telephoning the office 966 723 733
If you belong to a group or club that raises money for charity, please consider helping us.Perhaps if you have a business you may also consider having one of our Red donation boxes. We also welcome any goods that can be sold or used as raffle prizes.
We can supply a speaker to talk to groups about the work we do in the Vega Baja area and the benefit of being a member of HELP. Please telephone our San Miguel Centre for more information.